We are Independent, Baptist Church Planting Missionaries
Have you ever been compelled to do something radical? In 2012 my wife and I took a trip to Montijo, Portugal to visit missionary friends.
Now flying to Western Europe isn’t exactly radical.
But when we saw the spiritual needs in Portugal we knew that God would have our family do something about that. We chose to do something radical! We chose to leave our home, job, family – our life in America – and move to Portugal. We surrendered our lives to God for the sake of others hearing the gospel.
Our Plan for Portugal
Long term plan
To plant a local, autonomous Baptist Church where genuine believers can meet to worship God, edify each other, and evangelize their community for the ultimate glory of our LORD Jesus Christ.
Immediate, short term plan
- Learn the language and culture in Portugal.
- Work with David and Sarah Booth at Missão Baptista no Montijo.
- Establish relationships in the community of Alcochete (near Montijo and Lisbon Portugal).
- Start a bible study in our home in Alcochete.
- Lay the foundation for a church.
Mark Booth, Pastor of Sending Church
I have known both David and Michelle for eighteen years. David came to our church as a teenager without the Lord. He soon accepted the Lord as His Savior. After accepting Christ, David developed a great burden for souls. He is always looking for opportunities to witness. His manner of caring for people personally will be a great asset in Portugal where much of the evangelism is done on a one to one basis.
David is presently serving our church doing a missionary internship [Ended to start deputation]. He has been a real asset to the ministry. His willingness to do whatever needs to be done shows his servant’s heart.
Michelle was raised in our church. She accepted the Lord as a young child. She has shown a heart for people. Her love for the Lord and music that honors Him is very evident. She will be a great asset to the ministry in Portugal.
I personally spent over four years as a missionary in Portugal. As a result of my knowledge of this country, I believe that David and Michelle will do a great job of reaching the Portuguese people for Christ. Our church considers it a great privilege to be their sending church.
Dr. David Saxon, Maranatha Professor
We warmly recommend Dave and Michelle Wears, missionaries to Portugal. They have a sweet spirit, a desire to advance the cause of Christ, an excellent philosophy of ministry, and a burden for Portugal. Please join us in praying for them and in giving whatever support possible to help them soon get to Portugal.
David Booth, Missionary in Portugal
Having served in Portugal as a church-planting missionary for the past four years, I have traveled through town after town without any Bible preaching church. Thankfully, Dave and Michelle Wears have seen this need and are answering God’s call on their lives to be missionaries here. I have known Dave and Michelle for more than 15 years, and I have seen God work in their lives and prepare each of them for service here. Portugal needs missionaries, like Dave and Michelle, who are ready to devote their lives to serving the Lord and proclaiming the gospel. Their abilities in music, children and youth ministries, discipleship, and evangelism will be of great use here. I look forward to working with them and serving our Savior together.
Dr. Brad Anderson, Pastor
I am excited to recommend David and Michelle Wears as missionaries to Portugal. David was in the youth group when I was a youth pastor at Calvary Baptist Church in Charlotte, Michigan. He was one of the faithful, core-group teens that made my ministry so enjoyable. David always had a sincere love for God and for truth, and a desire to communicate the Gospel to his friends. Michelle was a faithful member of the church, and I always appreciated her kind and friendly spirit. She was in college most of the time that I served as youth pastor, but I got to know her and her family quite well during those years. I was happy to hear that David and Michelle were married (several years after I left Michigan) and rejoiced to see their continuing interest in serving our Lord. I have great confidence that they will be an effective team for evangelism and discipleship on the mission field.
Anna Ruwersma, Missionary
Michelle has been a dear friend of mine for several years. I can testify she has a sincere love for the Lord and a passion to give Him glory in every area of her life. She is a devoted wife to Dave and is committed to serving alongside of him wherever the Lord leads. Michelle is an incredible mother. She is one of the most selfless and patient people I know. God has blessed Michelle with a beautiful voice, skilled piano playing, and experience teaching children. Michelle is grounded in the Word and overall Bible knowledge, yet she possesses a humble and teachable spirit. There is no doubt in my mind Michelle will be a great asset to the ministry in Portugal as she follows Dave, loves her children, and seeks to share the gospel of Jesus Christ in Portugal.
The Doctrinal Statement of Global Faith Mission Agency
We, David & Michelle Wears, are Independent, Baptist Missionaries and affirm the following doctrinal statement.
1. We believe in THE HOLY SCRIPTURE: We accept fully the writings of the Old and New
Testaments as the very Word of God, verbally inspired in all parts, and therefore, wholly
without error as originally given of God, altogether sufficient in themselves as our only
infallible and authoritative rule of faith and practice. (II Timothy 3:16-17; II Peter 1:19-21)
2. We believe that there is but ONE GOD WHO IS IN THREE PERSONS (the Trinity): Father, Son, and Holy Spirit; that Their purposes are one and Their offices and actions are completely harmonious. (I John 5:7; Genesis 1:1; I Corinthians 8:6)
3. We believe in THE LORD JESUS CHRIST, the second person of the Trinity, the eternal Word and only Begotten Son; that without any change in His divine Person, He became man by miracle of the Virgin Birth; that as Man, He was tempted in all points as we are, yet without sin; that as the perfect Lamb of God, He gave Himself in death upon the cross for us, suffering the full penalty of divine wrath in our stead; that He arose bodily from the grave and was glorified; that as our great High Priest, He ascended into Heaven, there to appear before the face of God as our Advocate and Intercessor. (John 1:1-2; I John 5:20; Matthew 1:20; Luke 2:26-30; Romans 8:34; I John 2:1)
4. We believe in THE HOLY SPIRIT, the third person of the Trinity; that He convicts the world concerning sin, righteousness, and judgment; that He regenerates, indwells, seals, and anoints all who become children of God through Christ. He further empowers, guides,
teaches, sanctifies and fills believers who daily surrender to Him. All children of God are
baptized in the Holy Spirit at salvation. (II Corinthians 13:14; John 14:16-17; Romans 8:14-27; John 16:7-11)
5. We believe that ALL MEN ARE BY NATURE AND CHOICE SINFUL AND LOST; that man was the direct creation of God, made in His image and likeness; that by personal disobedience to the revealed will of God, man became a sinful creature, the father of a fallen race which is universally sinful in both nature and practice. (Romans 3:23 , 5:12 ; Galatians 3:22)
6. We believe in SALVATION BY GRACE THROUGH FAITH. Salvation is the free gift of God, neither merited nor secured in part or in whole by any virtue or work of man but received only by personal faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. Apart from Christ there is no possible salvation. (Ephesians 2:8,9; II Corinthians 5:21, 7:9-10; Romans 6:23, 10:9-13)
7. We believe in RIGHTEOUS LIVING AND GODLY WORKS, not as a means of salvation in any sense, but as its proper evidence and fruit; and therefore as Christians, we should obey the Word of our Lord, seek the things which are above, walk as He walked, and accept as our solemn responsibility the duty and privilege of bearing the gospel to a lost world. (Titus 2:11-14; Ephesians 2:10)
8. We believe in THE EXISTENCE OF SATAN, who originally was created a holy and perfect being, but through pride and wicked ambition, rebelled against God, thus becoming utterly depraved in character, the great adversary of God and His people. He was defeated and judged at the cross, and therefore, his final doom is certain. We are able to resist and
overcome him only by the blood of the Lamb, through the power of the Holy Spirit, and in the armor of God. (Revelation 12:9-11; Ezekiel 28:14-17; Isaiah 14:12-15; Revelation 20:10)
9. We believe in THE SECOND COMING OF CHRIST: that His return from Heaven is imminent and will be personal, visible, pretribulational, and premillennial. (Acts 1:11;
I Thessalonians 4:13-17; Revelation 19:11-16, 20:6)
10. We believe in THE EVERLASTING CONSCIOUS BLESSEDNESS OF THE SAVED in Heaven and THE EVERLASTING CONSCIOUS PUNISHMENT OF THE LOST in Hell. (John 14:1-6; I Thessalonians 4:14-17; II Corinthians 5:10; Philippians 3:20-21; Luke 16:19-31; Revelation 20:11-15; Mark 9:43-48)
11. We believe in THE PRIESTHOOD OF ALL BELIEVERS, that Christ is our Great High Priest and through Him every born-again person has direct access into God’s presence without the need of a human priest; that the believer has the right and responsibility to personally study and interpret the Scriptures guided by the Holy Spirit. (I Peter 2:5,9)
12. We believe THAT JESUS CHRIST ALONE IS THE HEAD of the body of Christ, of which all true believers of this age are members; that all members of this one spiritual body should assemble and identify themselves in local churches. (Matthew 23:10; I Corinthians 11:3; Hebrews 10:25)
13. We believe in THE IMPORTANCE OF THE LOCAL CHURCH, that a New Testament church is a local assembly of born-again, baptized believers united in an organization to practice New Testament ordinances; to meet together for worship, prayer, fellowship, teaching, and a united testimony; and to actively engage in carrying out the Great Commission. (Acts 2:41 , 4:32; Matthew 26:26-30, 28:19-20)
14. We believe in THE INDEPENDENCE AND AUTONOMY OF THE LOCAL CHURCH, that each New Testament church is free to govern itself without ecclesiastical interference, and should cooperate with other New Testament churches as the Holy Spirit leads; that it is responsible to follow the pattern of the New Testament church and is directly accountable to God. (Acts 6:1-6; Galatians 1:1-2)
15. We believe THE ORDINANCES GIVEN TO THE LOCAL CHURCH ARE TWO — BAPTISM AND THE LORD’S SUPPER, that baptism is by immersion of believers, thus portraying the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ; that the Lord’s Supper is the partaking of the bread and cup by the believers as a continuing memorial of the broken body and shed blood of Christ. (Matthew 3:13-17, 26:26-30, 28:19-20; Acts 2:41; I Corinthians 11:23-32)